Original article detailing the incident
Original article detailing the incident
Maat or maʻat (thought to have been pronounced also spelled māt or mayet, was the ancient Egyptian concept of truth, balance, order, law, morality, and justice. Maat was also personified as a goddess regulating the stars, seasons, and the actions of both mortals and the deities, who set the order of the universe from chaos at the moment of creation.
The 42 Laws of Maat
1. I have not committed murder, neither have I bid any man to slay on my behalf;
2. I have not committed rape, neither have I forced any woman to commit fornication;
3. I have not avenged myself, nor have I burned with rage;
4. I have not caused terror, nor have I worked affliction;
5. I have caused none to feel pain, nor have I worked grief;
6. I have done neither harm nor ill, nor I have caused misery;
7. I have done no hurt to man, nor have I wrought harm to beasts;
8. I have made none to weep;
9. I have had no knowledge of evil, neither have I acted wickedly, nor have I wronged the people;
10. I have not stolen, neither have I taken that which does not belong to me, nor that which belongs to another, nor have I taken from the orchards, nor snatched the milk from the mouth of the babe;
11. I have not defrauded, neither I have added to the weight of the balance, nor have I made light the weight in the scales;
12. I have not laid waste the plowed land, nor trampled down the fields;
13. I have not driven the cattle from their pastures, nor have I deprived any of that which was rightfully theirs;
14. I have accused no man falsely, nor have I supported any false accusation;
15. I have spoken no lies, neither have I spoken falsely to the hurt of another;
16. I have never uttered fiery words, nor have I stirred up strife;
17. I have not acted guilefully, neither have I dealt deceitfully, nor spoken to deceive to the hurt another;
18. I have not spoken scornfully, nor have I set my lips in motion against any man;
19. I have not been an eavesdropper;
20. I have not stopped my ears against the words of Right and Truth;
21. I have not judged hastily, nor have I judged harshly;
22. I have committed no crime in the place of Right and Truth;
23. I have caused no wrong to be done to the servant by his master;
24. I have not been angry without cause;
25. I have not turned back water at its springtide, nor stemmed the flow of running water;
26. I have not broken the channel of a running water;
27. I have never fouled the water, nor have I polluted the land;
28. I have not cursed nor despised God, nor have I done that which God does abominate;
29. I have not vexed or angered God;
30. I have not robbed God, nor have I filched that which has been offered in the temples;
31. I have not added unto nor have I minished the offerings which are due;
32. I have not purloined the cakes of the gods;
33. I have not carried away the offerings made unto the blessed dead;
34. I have not disregarded the season for the offerings which are appointed;
35. I have not turned away the cattle set apart for sacrifice;
36. I have not thwarted the processions of the god;
37. I have not slaughtered with evil intent the cattle of the god;
38. I have not acted guilefully nor have I acted in insolence;
39. I have not been overly proud, nor have I behaved myself with arrogance;
40. I have never magnified my condition beyond what was fitting;
41. Each day have I labored more than was required of me;
42. My name has not come forth to the boat of the Prince.—with Maat and 2 others.
Take care of yourself so you can take care of the rest.
By Amiri Baraka
Poems are bullshit unless they are
teeth or trees or lemons piled
on a step. Or black ladies dying
of men leaving nickel hearts
beating them down. Fuck poems
and they are useful, wd they shoot
come at you, love what you are,
breathe like wrestlers, or shudder
strangely after pissing. We want live
words of the hip world live flesh &
coursing blood. Hearts Brains
Souls splintering fire. We want poems
like fists beating niggers out of Jocks
or dagger poems in the slimy bellies
of the owner-jews. Black poems to
smear on girdlemamma mulatto bitches
whose brains are red jelly stuck
between ‘lizabeth taylor’s toes. Stinking
Whores! we want “poems that kill.”
Assassin poems, Poems that shoot
guns. Poems that wrestle cops into alleys
and take their weapons leaving them dead
with tongues pulled out and sent to Ireland. Knockoff
poems for dope selling wops or slick halfwhite
politicians Airplane poems, rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
…rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr … Setting fire and death to
whities ass. Look at the Liberal
Spokesman for the jews clutch his throat
& puke himself into eternity … rrrrrrrr
There’s a negroleader pinned to
a bar stool in Sardi’s eyeballs melting
in hot flame Another negroleader
on the steps of the white house one
kneeling between the sheriff’s thighs
negotiating coolly for his people.
Aggh … stumbles across the room …
Put it on him, poem. Strip him naked
to the world! Another bad poem cracking
steel knuckles in a jewlady’s mouth
Poem scream poison gas on beasts in green berets
Clean out the world for virtue and love,
Let there be no love poems written
until love can exist freely and
cleanly. Let Black people understand
that they are the lovers and the sons
of warriors and sons
of warriors Are poems & poets &
all the loveliness here in the world
We want a black poem. And a
Let the world be a Black Poem
And Let All Black People Speak This Poem
Hipster Racism and Trolling for Rage-Clicks
I recorded this video as a reaction to the influx of mildly offensive and outright racist videos we’ve been seeing on mainstream media as of late. Far from being a string of random occurrences, I think this is indicative of a larger cultural phenomenon: hipster racism, where people that are completely aware of what they’re doing troll the public for attention. As we all know, attention = clicks (even rage-clicks) = money for mainstream sites, especially those that are suffering from the effects of a dying journalism field. The power of social media and especially ‘Black Twitter’ is massive and finally being realized by the white and mainstream media; sending hundreds of thousands of clicks to websites and garnering huge amounts of attention for sites that are otherwise drowning.
This leaves people of color embroiled in a catch-22 situation: either we acknowledge the racism, sending scores of readers to the websites (both critics and supporters), or we ignore it, effectively giving our consent. A great example of this is the Darren Wilson support page: quiet before being discovered by Black Twitter, the gofundme amassed half a million dollars in a matter of days after it blew up on social media.
As always, food for thought. Thanks for watching.
ATTENTION FOR A SECOND, YO:
Real talk, this animal (the Ordovician Helmet crab, aka the Horseshoe crab, aka the Atlantic’s most at-risk shelled animal) is of a species that is close to 450 million years old. They are considered endangered, and often wash up on the shores of Long Island (this big lady crab was at TR park in Oyster Bay)
Note: these animals are often used to extract their blue blood and cure diseases. They help the ocean out big time. And they are one of the longest-surviving species on the planet. They’re washing up and people don’t think to/are scared to save them because of their deceivingly harmless barbs.
Take note, friends. Their barbs are NOT stingers. They cannot hurt you. Their pinchers aren’t pinchers, they’re just little legs that are actually really soft! The barb tail they have is actually what they use to stick into the ocean floor or the sand when waves knock them over or they flip onto their backs by accident. And you can help them out by flipping them back over very quickly and helping them scuttle back into the water if you see them struggling.
This is way important. Just call me the Sarah McLachlan of horseshoe crabs.
Hey everyone, as someone who grew up with horseshoe crabs literally everywhere I’d like to bring your attention to these fine, prehistoric bottom-feeders. Growing up in Gerritsen Beach (In Brooklyn, NY) meant seeing dozens upon dozens of horseshoe crabs trapped in fishing lines and shredded sandbags, stuck above the high-tide marks during low tide, and sometimes washed up on the rocks. Which led to probably hundreds of hours cutting them loose every summer during the mating seasons. Horseshoe crabs are 10000% harmless to you and can be easily handled (just don’t dangle them from their tails (known as a telson); that’s painful and you may accidentally rip the tail off and they’ll have to wait until their next molt to grow a new one!).
If you see a horseshoe crab on the beach, gently nudge it with your foot. Most of them will respond by waving their telson around. If it doesn’t respond, flip it over to check for moving limbs. If you suspect it is tangled and can’t move and you can’t bring it straight to the water because of this get a bucket of sea water and slowly pour it over the book gills and legs. As you work to untangle these rad critters, which are actually more closely related to spiders than crabs, pour more water over it periodically until you can return it to the ocean. However, during the mating season horseshoe crabs will attach together, with the large female toting around a smaller male behind her, and bury themselves in sand and mud to lay their eggs. Do not dig up these horseshoe crabs unless you are absolutely sure that they are stuck above the high tide mark. If you see dozens of beached horseshoe crabs but none of them are clinging together and the tide is going out, please do your part and turn them back in the direction of the water. Place them at the water’s edge and let them decide which direction they want to go in to be absolutely sure that they aren’t stranded accidentally.
Horseshoe crabs cannot bite you, and their “pincers” are really just for picking up food and don’t hurt if they try to grab you. They may be a little intimidating-looking but they are harmless and will be grateful for your help.
Just look at all those friendly legs waiting to tickle you in thanks for helping them not die a slow death of baking in the sun and getting eaten by gulls and other sea birds!
Please, protect our bottom feeding horseshoe crabs at all costs. Yes their blood has important medicinal value, being copper-based unlike our iron-based blood, but overharvesting them can have devastating effects on our underwater ecosystems. When being harvested for blood they should actually be returned to the ocean after taking a little, rather than bled dry
I love them help them
Favorite animal of all time, save them.
My first time at a Cafe Gratitude restaurant was in 2009 at their premier location, in an area that was a little “off the beaten path” in San Francisco. The restaurant had a very colorful, earthy, laid back and eclectic vibe. The wall’s were covered with inspiration quotes, detailed murals, and their pledge to “Nourish a Thankful Community”. The servers and the people were warm and inviting and the restaurant was filled with a mix of hippies, young adults, nature lovers and foodie types. Their Venice Beach location doesn’t quite have that same vibe.
Located on a busy street in Venice, just blocks from the beach, the street is lined with bars, hip coffee shops, fashion boutiques, and condominiums. Cafe Gratitude Venice is situated in a huge residential building with the bonus to that being that there is free underground parking. You are greeted by a hostess and have the option of sitting at one of their many counter top bar stools, booths, tables, or outside on their large covered deck. It’s definitely a more modern and hip unified version with simplistically styled decor, “uniforms” for all the servers that entail a v-neck shirt with the v-neck helping to spell out the work love, and most of your meals will be served in white dishes with the occasional teal dish served. The staff are friendly and accommodating but it does seem to be more of a rushed atmosphere. I guess that’s how it goes in the hustle and bustle of a big city.
Atmosphere and decor aside it’s the food that is the real star of this restaurant! Everything on the menu is 100% plant based and 100% organic. You literally can’t go wrong with anything you order, as everything is made with the freshest sourced ingredients and prepared for optimum health. Open from morning to night they have a huge menu including breakfast items, cold-pressed juices, smoothies, coffee, tea, elixirs, sparkling drinks, appetizers, wraps, bowls, pasta dishes, desserts, seasonal dishes, and even organic wine and spirits! They offer both raw and cooked vegan dishes as well as gluten free options. If you make it here for breakfast they have both sweet and savory options. The raw open faced bagel is scrumptious but I could have easily eaten two! Looking for something on the sweeter side, you can’t go wrong Raw Crepe smothered in creamy sauce. One of my favorite meals is the Magical, a vegan burger that I get on the raw gluten-free wrap with avocado, macadamia cheese, and coconut bacon, it’s just bursting with flavor! During the winter one of their seasonal specials are sweet crispy brussel sprouts and we always get a dish to share. Most of their bowls like the indian inspired Humble can be served over brown rice or quinoa for a more nutrient packed version. Pair your meal with one of their sparkling drink concoctions or cap the meal off with a warm creamy latte with my favorite choice being the Golden, a Turmeric latte with honey, turmeric juice and steamed almond milk (Caffeine-Free). Right at the front of the restaurant they have a dessert care with a variety of pies, cakes, cookies and truffles. Don’t come here without trying one of their to-die-for treats, JP recommends the Key Lime Pie. If you literally are in a hurry you can always grab a to-go item from the deli case. Cold-pressed juices, salads, wraps, and of course deserts are just a quick grab and you are out the door. We always get a cold-pressed juice to go, I love that they come in glass bottles and as a bonus I can use them to bottle my kombucha since the labels come off fairly easily!
Next time you are in Venice be sure to check out this hip and healthy restaurant!